2017 USTA Alabama Adult 40 & Over Championship
3.5 & 4.5+
This tournament overview provides players with all relevant information pertaining to this championship. Players should become well-versed with the Tournament Overview and Championship Procedures prior to arrival to a championship. The tournament overview and championship procedures can be found at www.alabamata.usta.com by clicking on the appropriate championship link. Please note that either document may be amended at any time at the discretion of the Championship Committee.
USTA Alabama would like to thank each and every captain for their volunteerism and dedication to our league programs. We recognize the amount of work in captaining and your work and commitment is much appreciated. This championship event would not be possible without each of you. Thank you!
Tournament Dates: Thursday, May 18-21, 2017
Location: Yarbrough Tennis Center
Thursday, May 18th, 2:30 pm for all 3.5 Women's Team Captains
Thursday, May 18th, 6:30 pm for all 3.5 Men and for 4.5+ Women and 4.5+ Men
For experienced championship captains that elect not to attend the meeting, he/she should pick up their items prior to the start of their first scheduled match starting at 7:15 AM at the Yarbrough Tennis Center (host site). Please note that some matches will have split sites; therefore, it is important that you read your schedule closely.
For those serving as a new captain to a championship event, we strongly recommend that you attend the meeting.
All captains are expected to relay to their team members all relevant items prior to championship start.
Championship Tournament Staff:
· Ruth Anne Bendall, USTA Alabama Director of Adult Leagues, Championship Tournament Director
· Perry Baker – Referee
· Ken Vines, Birmingham Local League Coordinator
· Wes Langford, Dothan Local League Coordinator
· Kevin Fichtner, Auburn Local League Coordinator
· Keith Wilson, Montgomery Local League Coordinator
Tournament Committee: Ruth Anne Bendall, Perry Baker and Keith Wilson
Local Tournament Chairperson: Travis DeBardelaben
Ruth A. Bendall, USTA AL Director of Adult Leagues: firstname.lastname@example.org; 205-541-1397 *For any questions, captains only may reach out to championship contacts. Players should go to captains with all questions.
Tournament Headquarters: Yarbrough Tennis Center, 1449 Richland Rd., Auburn
16 clay courts, 12 hard courts and 6 indoor courts
3700 Robert Trent Jones Trail
Opelika, AL 36801
8 soft courts
2272 Moore’s Mill Suite 100
Auburn, AL 36830
4 soft courts
900 Calhoun Drive
Opelika, AL 36801
4 soft courts
Hard courts may be used in case of inclement weather, play may be under lights and on indoor courts if available.
Official Ball: Penn
If the championship is on soft courts, players may not warm up at any time on the soft courts. Players will be expected to vacate any warm up on hard courts at 7:20 am each day so matches can get started.
Relevant Rules and Information
· In your captain packets, you will find your MOST RECENT team schedule and championship procedures. Please read over and be familiar with the championship procedures including the rainout policy.
· All teams should arrive to their site 30 minutes prior to match time ready to play. Do not check in with the site desk until ALL players are present and ready to play.
· Scorecards for each match are in your packet. Print names clearly (both first and last name). Home team is on the left side, and visitor is on the right side. Names must be same as on official roster in TennisLink. We must be able to read your scorecard, as it will be used to enter results in TennisLink. Our staff will be inputting results into TennisLink after each round. DO NOT complete scorecards ahead of time. If you turn in a wrong scorecard, we cannot give it back.
· Site Directors may pre-assign courts for each team match and will introduce each player to their opponents, so it’s very important to have all players ready when your team is called.
· Staying on schedule is contingent on getting players on and off the court as quickly as possible. Therefore, one person from the winning team is to report scores to the tournament desk immediately after each individual match. At the end of the team match, both captains report to site desk, review scores and sign scorecard.
· Do not bring alcohol to the site as no alcoholic beverages are permitted by the City.
· Pay close attention to the parking directions at any facility as your car could be towed if parked in an area where parking is not allowed!
· Teams are expected to complete all individual courts/matches scheduled. A grievance may be filed against any team defaulting individual courts and/or an entire team match.
· Rain Delay #: CAPTAINS ONLY: 1-800-592-1838 There may be a threat of rain throughout the tournament, and we will make every effort to update the hotline as soon as possible. Even if it’s not raining at your accommodation site, I would encourage you to call the rain hotline number as it may be raining at the tennis site.
· Award presentations will be at Yarbrough Tennis Center for the winning team.
· The winning 40 & Over teams will be eligible to advance to the USTA Southern Sectional Championships hosted by Mobile, AL and scheduled for July 28-31, 2017.
· Lunch will be provided on Friday and Saturday at facility headquarters 10:45 am – 2:00 pm. All must have a ticket for admittance.
Reminders from the Referee
· Cell Phone/Pager Warning: This is your official warning. Please make sure all players have their cell phone and pager off or on vibrate. If a cell phone or pager goes off in the middle of a point, the opponent may claim the point. Friend at Court states the following: While on court or during a match, a player may not receive information via electronic devices capable of receiving communications such as cell phones and smartwatches.
· No coaching is allowed and spectators including team captains should not be asked for their opinion.
· Scoring Format: All matches will be the best 2 out of 3 sets with a 10-point tiebreak in lieu of a full 3rd set. The Coman Tiebreak Procedures will be used for all tiebreaks (including the 10-point match tiebreak).
· Changeovers: The rest time for all changeovers is 90 seconds, except between sets which is limited to 2 minutes. There is no break after the first game of each set – players simply change sides.
· Warm-Ups: Players are limited to a 10-minute warm-up including serves prior to match play. If players exceed the 10 minutes, the players may be told to play regardless of where they are in warm-up, so it’s important to stay within time on your warm-up.
· Medical Time-Outs: The player in need of the medical time-out should not leave the court. Immediately send someone not involved in the match to get a referee. All medical time-outs will be addressed in compliance with “Friend at Court.”
· Bathroom Breaks: A player can take a bathroom break at any time but players should try to take breaks during changeovers or between sets.
· Rain Procedures: If there is a rain delay, players are not permitted to leave the tennis center unless otherwise released by the Tournament Director and/or Tournament Referee. If pulled from the courts due to rain, players must report their match scores in progress to the site coordinator.
· Point Penalty System (PPS): The PPS will be enforced. If a player is :01 to 5:00 minutes late, it is a loss of toss and 1 game for that player. If a player is 5:01 to 10:00 minutes late, it is a loss of toss and 2 games for that player. If a player is 10:01 to 15:00 minutes late, it is a loss of toss and 3 games for that player. If a player is 15:01 minutes late, it is a default. The Championship Referee is responsible for issuing defaults for failure to arrive on time.
· Note: Matches are un-officiated and all issues should be resolved on the court by the players involved. The Championship Referee should only be requested if all players on the court cannot resolve the problem on their own and if requested by the players on court. Spectators are not permitted to request a Referee unless the players on court request it.
Social Media & Marketing
· Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/USTA-Alabama-804479939622609/
· Team photos will be taken after the final or conclusion of round robin and posted on the ATA Championship Website, www.alabamata.usta.com, by clicking on the championship link.
Please be nice to the site coordinators and other volunteers. They are giving up their time to provide you with an outstanding championship experience. Players who display inappropriate behavior to any of the site coordinators, volunteers and/or tournament staff may be subject to a sportsmanship grievance. This also includes any violation of the USTA Alabama League Code of Conduct.
Rain Delay Phone Number: 1-800-592-1838 to be used in the event we have rain delays and for schedule changes. Calls should be made by captains only.